Picking a Fertility Clinic
Published on 01/11/23
Choosing a fertility clinic is an essential step when it comes to seeking fertility care, and you need to be sure that you choose the right clinic that suits your needs but also makes you feel comfortable throughout the entire process. When it comes to picking a fertility clinic, you may wish to consider the following:
Conduct Detailed Research
You need to think about the things that you need throughout the entire process. You will need to narrow down a list of clinics or doctors.
Additionally, you can speak to current or former patients, have a conversation with a clinic representative, or interview your potential doctor.
Picking the Right Doctor for You
When looking for fertility clinics, they are only as good as the doctors who work there. Depending on how the clinic operates, you may be assigned one doctor or a number of different ones on a rotation.
When choosing a doctor, it’s important to consider some of the following:
- Where and when they were trained. For example, if they are members of the American Society for Reproductive Medicine (ASRM).
- If the clinic has other types of doctors on-site. For example, a reproductive surgeon may be necessary if you have a condition like endometriosis.
- How long the doctor has been with the clinic? This is a surefire sign that the clinic is a reputable one, as the doctor will have been there for longer.
Understanding Your Financial Options
As part of the research process, you should understand what your medical insurance covers, and the overall costs of fertility treatment. Most states do not have coverage for infertility procedures so you should look at additional factors that will impact the overall cost, for example, payment plans. You should also bear in mind some of the following:
- If the clinic accepts insurance, and if not, will they give you the paperwork to find coverage for yourself?
- If they have a payment program, and if you need to pay anything in advance.
- There are other aspects to consider, for example, if a cycle is canceled before you go through the IVF procedure of egg retrieval.
Understand the Procedures They Offer
When you are undertaking research for a fertility clinic, there are things you should understand prior to undergoing treatment. Gaining an insight into the procedures, tests, and the laboratory itself can give you a better insight into if this is the right fertility clinic for you. It’s important to bear in mind some of the following:
- If the clinic has an on-site lab or is far away from the clinic.
- If there are surrogacy or donor options available.
- If the clinic is a member of the Society for Assisted Reproductive Technology (SART) or the lab is accredited by the College of American Pathologists or the Joint Commission.
Many people are so desperate to get on the waiting list for treatment they don’t consider the bigger picture. When it comes to procedures and tests, it is essential for you to bear these things in mind, especially if there is a cut-off age for treatments you haven’t factored in before your research.
What You Should Expect from the Clinic
The clinic should be of a certain standard, not just in terms of complying with necessary rules and regulations, but should make you feel more comfortable in the process. Here are a few things you should expect of the clinic and the staff themselves:
- A personal touch. It may be essential for the staff to be more personable with you, especially given the very emotional nature of what can occur.
- The additional services. For example, if they offer acupuncture or counseling.
- The location and hours of operation can be essential if you have to drive far for a fertility appointment.
When it comes to picking a fertility clinic, there are a lot of things to bear in mind. Many people find that a fertility clinic is their last attempt at having a child, but that doesn’t mean you should settle for a fertility clinic that is below par. The right fertility clinic should always exceed your expectations.